Parliament House is located at Plot 16 – 18 Parliamentary Avenue. The Building comprises 350 rooms. The foundation stone for the Parliament Building was laid on December 18, 1956, by the then Governor of Uganda Sir Andrew Cohen. Construction of the main building commenced in 1958. On October 5, 1962 the then Prime Minister Apollo Milton Obote laid the foundation stone for the Independence Arch, at the entrance to the Parliamentary Building
Admission to the Parliament Building is free to the public. Anyone wishing to visit Parliament ordinarily/formally presents a written request to the Public Relations Office, which will advise on the best time to visit and other requirements. Visitors to Parliament should ensure that they are dressed decently.