We are looking for Senior Technical Advisor - Laboratory Services
• Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent, Master's degree is an added advantage.
• Registration certificate issued by the Biomedical Laboratory Association of Tanzania.
• At least 5 years of experience working in a medical diagnostic laboratory setting that included HIV and TB testing
• Demonstrated experience and understanding the systems of MoHCDGEC in Tanzania.
• Demonstrated knowledge and successful experience of procurement procedures and equipmenVsupply/stock
tracking and inventory
• Knowledge in Laboratory Quality Assurance, and strong experience of instituting good laboratory practice
• Experience with laboratory automated platforms in particular: GeneXpert; Haematology, HIV viral load and CD4.
• Experience with laboratory information systems is an important advantage
• Operational research experience is an advantage;
• Supervisory, training, management and monitoring skills of other laboratory staff
• Extensive experience in the general management of a laboratory
• Excellent verbal and written skills in English
To lead the planning and implementation of laboratory activities required for THPS supported HIV/AIDS
prevention, care and treatment programs including baseline assessment and laboratory capacity development at
sites supported by THPS. (1
To provide technical assistance to THPS laboratory team as well as national support, including regular and systematic
mentorship, observation of testing procedures and joint site level supportive supervision and instruction.
To oversee routine workflows; developing/refining SOPs, job aids, log books, and referral forms as needed based
on national and international approved guidelines and standards; planning of laboratory activities to improve tests
performance and decrease turnaround time.
To coordinate regular equipment maintenance at all THPS supported sites in collaboration with the laboratory team.
To provide leadership in execution of national level laboratory support activities
To provide technical assistance in specific techniques like: PCR for HIV viral load and early infant diagnosis (EID),
CD4 count, HIV Rapid Tests, HIV Genotyping, drug resistance and mutation, hematologic, clinical chemistry and
To provide technical assistance to the MoHCDGEC in evaluation and validation new technologies related to the
To represent THPS on laboratory related issues at donors and MoHCDGEC technical meetings as well as work
closely with both the donors and the MoHCDGEC in harmonizing laboratory services.
Carry out other laboratory related activities as assigned by her/his supervisor(s).
Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) is a Tanzanian non-governmental organization (NGO) that supports the government of Tanzania, through the Ministries of Health and Social Welfare in mainland and Zanzibar, to deliver comprehensive HIV prevention, care, and treatment services. THPS’s core focus is on strengthening the national health system, and specifically the structures responsible for budgeting, planning, implementing, and monitoring health and social services.