• Minimum of a Diploma in Public Health, Health or Hygiene Promotion, community development,
Education, or community water supply and sanitation related fields.
• Experience and understanding of Hygiene Promotion and community mobilisation in relation to WASH
• Practical experience on the use of participatory tools for hygiene promotion
• Familiarity with the culture of the affected population
• Ability to command respect from a wide range of people
• Communicate effectively on hygiene and sanitation matters
• Fluency in the language of the affected population
• Good assessment, analytical, and planning skills
• Good oral and written reporting skills
• Good training/counterpart development skills
• Ability to work well in a team in difficult circumstances
• Assist in the management of the WASH programme in close contact and consultation with the WASH
• Mobilize and organize communities into water user committees and other appropriate community-based
mechanisms for the management and sustainability of the WASH (water supply, sanitation and hygiene)
• Ensure adequate representation of women and other vulnerable groups e.g. people with disability and the
• Provide training for creating awareness on safe hygiene practice for community based groups like village
health committee, by using PHAST or CLTS approaches as planned with the WASH Officer.
• Organize and build the capacity of school-based environmental sanitation and hygiene clubs.
• Conduct trainings for school environmental sanitation and hygiene clubs using participatory activities like
PHAST (Participation Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation) approaches.
• Follow up and provide supportive supervision for school-based environmental sanitation and hygiene
• Coordinate hygiene, sanitation and community participation activities of the organization with line
departments (County Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Office, RRC etc.)
• Conducting and assisting in training of water users' committees on sanitation and hygiene, financial
management and preventive maintenance and repair of hand pumps in order to build their capacity in
managing water points.
• Collect relevant WASH data and use these to prepare regular WASH reports.
• Assist the WASH Officer in preparing WASH documents and reports.
• Participate in different WASH assessments at the field level.
• Travel to different project sites to follow up and monitor implementation of WASH activities.
• Facilitate community hygiene promotion through community meetings, in schools, health posts,
campaigns, radio programs and social occasions.
• Participate in hygiene campaigns, doing shows in schools and at community level.
• Provide hygiene promotion training for hygiene promoters that are involved in community mobilization.
• Assist the WASH officer in regular monitoring and follow up of partners to ensure the proper
implementation of planned activities by coordinating with the field office.
• Contribute in maintaining good working relationships with implementing partners and churches.