1. Bachelor's or Masters degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering or
2. 3-5 years of technical programming with exeprience in managing complex health
3. Ability to work with shell scripts and terminal commands.
4. Can work interchangeably, both in Windows and Linux based machines.
5. Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions
(design, collection, analysis, distribution etc) with a strong quantitative focus
6. Experience with programming languages, starting with MS Access, Visual Basic or !
.Net, JAVA, PHP :,·.:.:~
7. Significant experience with database systems includiBQ database design and ~
administration, and also database languages such as SOL.
8. Familiarity with various research trials in several disciplines like clinical/biological, public health and/or laboratory research; and basic knowledge of ;· HIV/AIDS is an added advantage. :i.
9. Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team and to prioritize and !.
manage multiple projects with analytical problem solving skills.
10. Strong verbal and written skills together with the ability to communicate statistical
ideas and concepts clearly to both technical and non-technical audience.
11. Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
1. Create and enforce policies for effective data management.
2. Develop, modify, and maintain data systems including database design, data entry
and cleaning programs.
3. Develop data input controls; range, data relationship and logic checks, and other
data management processes based on input from other team members.
4. Formulate techniques for quality data collection, ~dequacy, accuracy and
legitimacy of data.
5. Design, modify, generate, and maintain database reports using but not limited to
SAS and Microsoft Access.
6. Perform shell script and data mining to extract knowledge and information from
different data sources.
7. Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their
performance to discover ways of enhancing them with new technologies and
8. Troubleshoot data-related problems and advice on the maintenance or
9. Perform SAS programming to manipulate and clean data, create variables and
format libraries, develop queries in SAS for data cleaning, and prepare analysis
datasets; analyze and tabulate data; and create graphic representations of
statistical information. :
10. Work with-Data Supervisors to develop standard operating procedures for QA/QC,
evaluation of data entry accuracy, and f.iork performance of the data team staff
11. Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their
Officially established in 2009, the Africa Academy for Public Health (AAPH) is an independent organization registered in Tanzania with the mission to improve heath in the Africa region through collaborative research, training, capacity building and knowledge translation. The AAPH evolved from research collaborations between the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and a number of public health research and training institutions in Tanzania. This relationship started more than 40 years ago and developed stronger ties over the last 20 years through large joint discovery and translation research and training programs.