Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST - NEUROLOGY
Job ID: OFF004KX
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs duties of an Administrative Associate but with some authority to step outside confines of established procedures. They are also considered the subject matter authority in the administrative area for the department/clinic.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Performs complex scheduling of specialty providers. Processes incoming and outgoing referrals to specialty clinics within the UNC Health System. Coordination of additional diagnostic testing and procedures per provider orders. Triage incoming patient calls and route calls to the appropriate area.
2. Coordinating and completing special projects independently or in cooperation with other groups as assigned.
3. Serving as point person for all complex customer service and administrative issues. Interpreting and communicating policies/procedures to other parties based on knowledge of the organization and departmental guidelines. Routinely providing guidance and direction to lower-level staff. Assists with screening applications and conducting initial interviews of entry-level staff as needed. Investigate patient and provider complaints and provide reports with root causes and service recovery.
4. Extracting and compiling data from written sources, individuals, and/or databases and providing interpretation.
5. Performing charge entry and reconciliation for work group.
6. Trains others using verbal and written communication
7. Maintains medical supply inventory, prepares and maintains supplies for specialty procedure clinics. Prepares daily schedule for exam rooms / clinical resources.
8. Prepares complex forms, reports, presentations and other documents requiring a higher level of proficiency with software including referral algorithms.
9. Checks patient medical records to verify accuracy and compliance with rules and procedures of appropriate system. Resolves discrepancies by contacting appropriate office to obtain information on source of discrepancy and correcting any errors.
10. Registering patients and completing encounter forms. Collecting patient payments and insurance information and making proper referrals to financial departments. May contact insurance companies directly to verify/determine eligibility. May also verify previous balance owed to UNCH.
11. Serves as a first level of response to customer inquiries and complaints in person, by phone and/or electronic communication. This may include working with third party providers.
12. Performs routine office duties including filing, faxing, and sorting/distributing mail. Performs routine clerical and typing tasks involved in processing form letters, requisitions, memoranda, reports and other office documents. Utilizing all software necessary to perform basic tasks for departments.
13. Provides a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to organizing and prioritizing workload, greeting and directing visitors, reviewing orders for logic and clarity, revising orders as requested by the nurse, answering the telephone/ patient calls, transcribing physician orders, and maintaining medical records. Performs routine quality assurance audits, safety checks, and inventory of supplies. Provides administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
Customer Focus: makes the customer and their needs their top priority and goes the extra mile to satisfy their customers. Demonstrates the ability to resolve customer problems. Technical expertise: understands the technical aspects of one's job. Effectively uses Microsoft office products in order to produce reports and documents. Demonstrates the ability to learn and master the scheduling system as appropriate coachability: Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement Accountability: Manages performance to meet expected results. Works to meet the internal/external customer requirements. Fiscal responsibility: Understands the insurance process and seeks to make the best decision/referral in the interest of the customer. Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan. Coaching: Shares information, advice and suggestions to help others to be more successful. Provides appropriate support and acts as a resource depending on the situation and capabilities of the employee. Conflict Resolution: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people. Finds agreement on issues and follows through on implementation Solving Problems: Uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
High School diploma or GED. Five (5) years of clerical experience of increasing variety and/or complexity.
If a Bachelor's degree: One (1) year of clerical experience of increasing variety and/or complexity.
If an Associate's degree: Three (3) years of clerical experience of increasing variety and/or complexity.
Primary Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Department: 1000-27070-UNCH Neurology Clinic
Shift: Day Job