We are looking for RN Psychiatric Consult - Care Management (Part-Time)
PeaceHealth is seeking a RN Psychiatric Consult - Care Management (Part-Time) for a 0.6 full time equivalent Exempt position. This position will be working Day shift with shift durations of 8 Hours .
Req ID: 178631
Provides non-psychiatric hospital care units with nursing resource expertise (as an adjunct to primary nursing care) to develop individualized care plans for patients that have care needs related to psychiatric issues. Functions as a core member of a collaborative patient care team that involves the patient's primary care provider, nursing staff, a psychiatric consultant, and care management partners. Develops best clinical practices for psychiatric patients in medical surgical units. May provide and teach evidence-based treatments or work with other mental health providers when such treatment is indicated.
Screen and assess patients for common mental health and substance abuse disorders.
Support and closely coordinate mental/behavioral/chemical dependency health care needs with the patient's primary care provider, unit caregivers, the Care Management team, and when appropriate, other treating health providers. Facilitates communication and hand-off of care between departments, physicians and nurses
Provides consultation and coaching to the bedside caregiver in the assessment of the patient with psychiatric needs such as mental disorders, substance abuse disorders and/or behavioral health needs and in the development of an applicable and individualized plan of care. Care planning is done in collaboration with the primary care nurse and the patient by using nursing process including: assessment, recommended interventions, evaluation and reassessment.
Provide patient and caregiver education (and skill development coaching) about common mental health, chemical dependency, and substance abuse disorders and available treatment options.
Actively identifies patients appropriate for consult and provides caregiver support and plan of care development early in their hospitalization. Some identifications methods: Reviews psychiatric consult patient list, census of acute care areas, consult voice mail, and rounding on the acute care units.
Maintains consult documentation and records of consults and identified plans of care.
Support psychotropic, pain, and other appropriate medication management prescribed by PCPs, focusing on treatment adherence, side effects and other complications, and effectiveness.
Provide brief interventions using evidence-based techniques, such as Behavioral Agreements or other treatments appropriate for hospital care settings. Provides instruction and coaching in real time to staff to enable staff skill development.
Participate in regular caseload consultation with the psychiatric provider. Consultations will focus on patients new to treatment or who are not improving as expected. Communicate treatment plan changes with the PCP, consulting providers and caregivers.
Facilitate patient engagement in all areas of care and in discharge planning.
Document patient progress and treatment recommendations in the EMR so they can be easily shared with PCPs, the psychiatric consulting provider, caregivers, and other treating providers.
Facilitate referrals, in close coordination with care management partners, for clinically indicated services outside the hospital care setting (e.g., social services such as housing assistance, vocational rehabilitation, mental health specialty care, substance abuse treatment).
Complete relapse prevention plan and discharge plan development with patients (in collaboration with primary RN).
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited State Board of Nursing approved nursing program.
- BSN preferred.
- Three years of acute medical surgical experience required.
- Three years of psychiatric and or chemical dependency nursing required.
- Nursing experience in developing and implementing
- Non Violent Crisis Intervention training required prior to or upon hire into position.
- Previous consult nurse or care management experience preferred.
- Current Registered Nurse in the state of practice.
- Demonstrated knowledge of early signs of agitation and associated de-escalation techniques
- Demonstrated knowledge of an ability to apply age specific principles of growth and development and life stages to meet each patient's needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including sensitivity to other cultures and ethnicities
- Excellent ability for conceptual thinking, good listening, problem resolution, and planning skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including e-mail, computerized health records, and word processing
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a team setting
- Ability to maintain effective and professional relationships with patient and other members of the care team
- Ability to effectively engage patients in therapeutic relationship, when appropriate.
ST JOSEPH PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires active physical exertion up to 33% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 50 lbs. or less.
- Work requires frequent exposure to minor cold, heat, poor ventilation or sharp instruments. Reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids once per month or more.
- Duties require the ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail (more than 65% of work time).
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, WA, is a not-for-profit Catholic health system employing approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 1,200 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities in Washington, Oregon, Alaska. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, the legacy of its founding Sisters continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission.
Get a feeling for the Spirit of PeaceHealth through this three-minute video , and visit us on Facebook or LinkedIn ! We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment!
To learn more please visit: jobs.peacehealth.org . Questions? Review our Employment FAQ or email Recruitment@peacehealth.org . Please note this email does not accept resumes or applications.
Location: Bellingham , St. Joseph Medical Center (216)
Job Category: Nursing
Shift Length: 8 Hours
Work Type: Part Time
Hourly compensation starts at: $ 39.88 , more depending on experience
Required Certifications/Licensure: Basic Life Support; Registered Nurse - Washington
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran, qualified individual with a disability, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.