We are looking for Head of Academics
Salary: competitive package
The prime responsibility of the role is to provide strong academic leadership across the College.
The incumbent is required to lead, manage and develop the academic programmes to ensure it achieves the highest possible standards of excellence in all its activities. They will be supported by Faculty, Student Services and Operations.
He / She is required to exercise leadership, demonstrate vision, and empower others in order to deliver the agreed strategy across the Faculties.
It is recognised that the methods by which he / she carries out their duties and the extent of delegation, will depend on such factors as the size and nature of the Departments and Faculties.
- Internal: All group employees in general
- External: Students, parents, guardians, families, etc
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
- Be responsible and accountable for setting and advancing the academic strategy of the Faculties in line with City College strategic plans and direction
- Lead academic committees and contribute to the overall leadership and management of the faculties. It is expected that the Head of Academics will carry functional responsibility for the overall performance of the academic Faculties.
- Develop and sustain appropriate structures for management, consultation, decision-making and communication with staff and students
- Lead on the College Academic Committee and be responsible for overall quality assurance and enhancement.
- Promote and represent the University both internally and externally.
Teachers and Students
Ensure that students receive the best possible experience through:
- the fulfilment of the Colleges responsibilities concerning students in respect of their admission, instruction, progress and assessments
- the availability of pastoral support
- adhere to the academic regulations and procedures laid down by the college and the Board of Trustees
- refresh and develop new programmes in order to attract new students and markets
- Create and exploit new opportunities for knowledge transfer activity in order to secure additional income streams and new areas of teaching and/or research
- Contribute to University-wide initiatives in order to improve understanding and communication of this area
- Encourage staff to become reflective practitioners, engaging in small scale action research projects, participating as workshop or seminar presenters in conferences or webinars and publishing articles in academic journals.
- Ensure the highest levels of quality, integrity and ethics in all research work undertaken
- Begin to create a dynamic and forward looking research environment for both staff and students within the department.
- Manage all academic staff within the department to ensure that City College HR policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure that staff performance is managed appropriately and in a way that is consistent with the expectations of the college, and that fair workload allocation processes are in place
- Ensure all staff have access to the necessary support to enable them to contribute fully and develop their skills and experience
- Engender a culture of excellence, co-operation and respect both within and beyond the department
- Use all staffing resources effectively and seek opportunities for collaboration and joint working with others beyond the faculties
- Include student representatives in various decision-making committees, as appropriate
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment for both staff and students, and full compliance with health and safety requirements
- Have management responsibility for devolved faculty budgets and comply with City College financial regulations
- Manage income and expenditure in order to promote financial sustainability
- Ensure that the asset register is kept up to date and all faculty equipment/facilities are properly maintained and serviced as required
- Lead on policy and procedures for quality assurance and enhancement.
- Make sure that all activities including teaching, research, quality assurance and management of all resources are carried out to the highest possible standards and put in place the necessary evaluation and monitoring procedures to ensure both compliance and improvement
- Comply with auditing, quality assurance and risk management procedures both internal and external
- Be able to act as an ambassador for their faculties and have good negotiating skills
- Have the ability to manage a number of competing demands and be able to delegate responsibilities to others in the faculties for the sake of efficiency
- Be flexible and adapt to changing circumstances
- Be able to develop their skills and seek advice from a variety of sources
- Be able to plan ahead and anticipate what needs to be put in place for future academic development of the college success.
- Be able to contribute in the delivery of the Strategic Plan through high quality administration and reflective practice.
- Have a highly developed understanding of the demands of maintaining good cross-cultural, interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrate the ability to build trust and encourage engagement amongst academic staff and students.
- Possess high level communication skills to sometimes represent the college within the community to build good working relationships.
- Have the ability to represent the college in administrative meetings concerning academic matters with Artan Holding and externally.
- Be an effective team player.
- Have a strong academic record and standing through publications, research or teaching - although management skills and aptitude will be more important
- Possess a minimum of a Master’s degree in a Business specialism from a recognized university. A research or professional doctoral degree is desirable
- Be a qualified teacher
- Possess a broad understanding of the academic disciplines within the department
- Be a fluent speaker of English or present a current IELTs 7.5 on appointment, if a second language speaker.
- Be computer literate
- Possess a working knowledge of Arabic is desirable but not essential.
- Demonstrated evidence through CV and interview of ideally 5 years substantial and relevant management experience acting as a programme manager or head of department
- Prior work experience in the GCC or in a UK-style HE college environment is highly desirable as well as a successful track record at middle management level in a UK tertiary college or UK-style tertiary college in the Middle East.
- Candidates should show demonstrable evidence of working at a management level within a relevant educational context where they have contributed to efficient academic operations, advised senior leadership and supervised the work of teachers and students
- Candidates should have the ability and experience of developing and leading significant academic or curriculum change/improvement.
Contact for any query